Our Journey Together
Home Street Mennonite Church has worshipped in central Winnipeg since 1957, and it remains committed to serving the neighbourhood around it. Founded by the Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba, it was initially called the Winnipeg Bergthaler Mennonite Church. In 1958, the congregation purchased a building at the corner of Simcoe Street and St. Matthews Avenue and four years later moved to a building at the corner of Sherbrook Street and Ross Avenue.
Faced with expropriation because of a proposed overpass, the growing congregation bought the former Home Street United Church in 1973 and renamed itself Home Street Mennonite Church. It has worshipped at 318 Home Street ever since. The former location is now Rossbrook House, a drop-in centre for at-risk children. And the proceeds from Home Street United Church's sale were invested in St. Matthews-Maryland Community Ministry in what is now known as the West End Commons.
Over the years, two other churches have formed from the membership of Home Street Mennonite: Fort Garry Mennonite Fellowship as an intentional church plant in 1966, and Good News Mennonite in 1994. Home Street is a member of Mennonite Church Manitoba and of Mennonite Church Canada. Among the many agencies it supports, two of the most prominent are Mennonite Central Committee and Westgate Mennonite Collegiate.